Lip Repositioning Surgery Parts 1 & 2

As I type this, I’m sitting on the second rung of an old ladder which is pulled up to the island in my new kitchen down in Texas. My keystrokes echo off high ceilings and bare floors because our furniture is still on a truck making its way down from the east coast. From where I sit I have a perfect view of the Gulf of Mexico which is pretty cool, but as always, this move is definitely bittersweet. I’m back in my hometown where I can soak up all the sun I want, but I’ve left all my wonderful friends behind which makes my heart ache. It’s my fourth cross-country move and I can say one thing for sure: they always suck. Such is military life, right?

So much has happened since I last posted, and as the title of my post suggests, YES! I had my surgery!! I know Dr. K thought I was completely bat-shit crazy when I informed him that I had to change my drive-out-of-town date to the actual day after surgery and that I was still beyond excited to go through with everything. I assured him that I knew what I was getting into and was fully capable of driving halfway across the country with a gash in my mouth, but the truth is is that I’d psyched myself up so much that I was convinced that the healing process would be just as simple as the crown lengthening. Had I’d known my face would feel like someone mauled me with a lead pipe, I might’ve had second thoughts. Actually… probably not. I wanted this surgery that bad. Regardless, I’m one week post-op and even though I’m in moderate pain and still pretty swollen, it was all 100% worth it. That’s right. One hundred percent worth it.

In the past few months, I’ve done a significant amount of Googling about the lip repositioning surgery. Either my internet searching skills fell to the wayside or there really isn’t anything out there, but I couldn’t find a decent first person take on the actual surgery and recovery (I was mainly interested in the recovery). So I guess I’ll have to do it.

As you may have gathered, I was right in the middle of a move. The day before my surgery, the packers showed up several hours late which wound up to be a total reflection of their workmanship. They half-assed everything and took off at around 6:00 pm with all kinds of loose ends to tie up the following morning – the day of my surgery – and also the day the giant truck was scheduled to leave town. Of course, they showed up four hours late again which wouldn’t have been a big deal if I didn’t have to clean my entire home that evening and begin my drive to fucking Texas the next day. They were supposed to be completely finished before 4:00 so I could leisurely clean the place. Seriously, one guy was so bad, he accidentally packed my pillow (which was in the “don’t pack closet”. He told me I could find it in the box labeled pillers. He literally labeled several boxes: “PULLERS and PULLER”. And wouldn’t ya know it… my damn pillow wasn’t in a single one of them. I found it stuffed in a box with a lamp and my grandma’s fake plant.

Screen Shot 2014-09-08 at 12.45.27 AM


So the day of my surgery, I dropped my kid off with the neighbor and took an 800 mg Ibuprofen an hour prior which I would later be told was a smart move. I chose to forgo the crazy anxiety drug because I drove myself to the appointment, and I also needed to be completely capable of cleaning the house once I returned home. I guess I thought I was super woman.

I showed up and was happily greeted by the girl behind the front desk. Unlike my previous visits, I was the only patient in the waiting room. I didn’t sit around but for a few moments before I was called back. All that talking myself up paid off because I truly felt anxiety-free. I was ready! Or so I’d thought. I forgot how many shots were required to numb my entire upper arch. For my last procedure, I was so jazzed up they probably could’ve gotten away with doing injections right into my eyeball.

Dr. K immediately got right to it. First some pictures and then some topical numbing stuff. Then, a few moments later, shot after shot, and I’m not going to lie… several of the ones in the front triggered gigantic, involuntary tears. I didn’t cry… they were just tears. My face was weeping in advance for what my mouth was about to endure. The only breaks Dr. K took were to reach for more ‘juice’ which turned out to be a good thing because it was all over with just that much quicker. I think it took about 12 shots to start with. After he allowed some time to pass for the stuff to get me nice and numb, he leaned me back got started. We had an audience which, unbeknownst to them, was nothing new to me (they politely asked if it was okay). After struggling with infertility for several years, I’ve grown accustomed to being on some sort of medical display. Screw it. Folks wanna watch procedures? Go right ahead! At least this time I’m not spread eagle and pantsless on a gyno table surrounded by a gaggle of doe eyed med students.

First, he started with some gum contouring. He took a tiny bit more off the gum line at the top of one of my central incisors as it wasn’t quite as high as the one next to it. Then, he began the precise incisions. Fortunately I wasn’t able to watch, but from what I understand, he began his incision at tooth #3 along the mucogingival junction all the way to tooth #14. Then he made a parallel incision about 8 mm above the first one. Basically, he cut me from one side to the other. Here is a chart so you can get an idea as to how far the incision went around my arch… from 3 to 14. Keep in mind #1 and #16 are wisdom teeth and I had mine yanked long ago.

Screen Shot 2014-09-02 at 10.14.32 PM

At one point, somewhere around #6 on the upper incision, I could totally feel him cutting. I was pretty numb so it didn’t necessarily hurt, but I knew something wasn’t right and it kinda grossed me out. I stuck up one finger and mumbled to the best of my ability, “uh…i-kun-full-gat.”. I’m quite certain that after several decades of deciphering patients’ garble, he totally understood what I said without a second thought, and without question, he continued humming as he gave me another injection, asked me if I was okay, and then carried on. He paused for several more pictures (one of his assistants was documenting the procedure) so I took that opportunity to take one of my own. I’ve decided not to post it though because it could probably bring a grown man to his knees.  I dare you to look at this picture. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Before I knew it, he was stitching me up. Twenty-four maybe? Every other one was a dissolvable suture and the others were to be removed after three weeks. The only things that I can point out as “uncomfortable” were the shots (of course), the retracting of my lip which gave me a gnarly hematoma about one centimeter in diameter on the inside pad of my upper lip. I checked everything out in their handheld mirror and was somewhat choked up when I saw my new smile. I was so happy! Here is a photo from about an hour after surgery. My lip had already begun to swell but it’s clear that my smile was drastically different.

Screen shot 2014-10-06 at 1.23.42 AM


And now for the fun part. What in the hell was I thinking when I thought laboring like a workhorse immediately following a surgery was a good idea?? I pulled up to my house and those idiots were still lollygagging around with more than half our furniture sitting out on the lawn and only a few boxes loaded onto the truck. It was 2:00 pm… Lil Wayne echoed loudly throughout my tree-lined, colonial home neighborhood… these dudes even stopped the fucking ice cream man right after their 10th smoke break, and just before their 11th. I know I sound ungrateful, but seriously, we bought lunch for these slackers on both days because as we’ve learned in the past, food (and kindness laced with tolerance) is motivation for them not to destroy your shit. The least they could do is finish the fucking job they’re being paid to do on time, but no. These assholes are guaranteed to get paid, regardless of their effort, with little incentive to do even a mediocre job.

The sun sank lower in the sky and it became clear that they’d be there long after dark… which meant the baby would go nuts because we were derailed from her strict schedule (by far) and didn’t have access to a quiet place for her to go to sleep, which meant that she’d probably need an exorcism two hours into our 1,650 mile drive. It also meant I wouldn’t be able to get to work on cleaning the house. The anesthesia had long worn off and my face was pounding. Pounding. I took another 800 mg Ibuprofen but it did practically nothing in regards to pain relief. The movers finally left at 11:30 pm so I fell back on plan B and took one of the hydrocodones left over from my first surgery.  That helped significantly and I was able to clean my bathroom. Luckily I spent a great deal of my days keeping our home in order so cleaning turned out to be pretty effortless. Night one of urban camping on an air mattress was absolutely miserable. My sweet husband didn’t air the thing up properly so my hip and shoulder grazed the hardwood floor underneath as I tossed and turned while periodically drooling small amounts of blood… which tasted delightful. Rather than getting sleep, I subconsciously worried about ruining my favorite pillow.

I can think of only a handful of times where I wasn’t a morning person. Even hungover! Not Urban Camping Day 2. I awoke to a great deal of pain which somewhat subsided about 45 minutes after I got moving. I hit the ground running though because there were a million and one things to get done before the property manager showed up to do our final inspection. My three-day-drive was to begin in only a few short hours so anything more than Ibuprofen was totally out of the question.

We drove seven hours – me in my car with both cats, and my husband in his truck with the baby – and made it to our hotel where I took a hot shower and did my best to relax. Stress levels were high because we were hauling all kinds of shit that had to be unloaded from the truck bed for fear of theft. Plus the baby was pissed that we’d subjected her to her “torture device” for so long. Somehow I managed to eat a grilled chicken sandwich from Chic fil A but HO-LEE-HELL I was in pain. And it took me over an hour to eat. I have this thing about needing to chew with my mouth closed, so that may have played a part in the hour-long meal.

I intentionally woke up at midnight to take some more medication because the swelling was getting pretty bad. We started again the next morning at 4:30 am sharp for our 14 hour second day push. At 6:00 am, I took another 800 mg Ibuprofen. As directed, I took another at noon. Five hours passed before my eyelids became too heavy to ignore. Like past the point of dangerous. I called my husband and told him that we needed to pull over STAT.

At the rest stop, I laid my head down on my center console and instantly fell into a deep, deep slumber. Just me and my cats. I jolted awake “seconds later” (which was actually half an hour later) to my husband tapping on my window holding the baby on his hip with the best ‘WTF look’ I’d seen in a long time. He literally showed me his watch as if to say, “Your napping is dicking up our drive time!!!”. Actually, he did say this later on at the hotel but I blew him off and told him to be quiet and fetch me a red bull with an ice pack.

To this date, I can’t think of a more fulfilling sleep than that one. I later realized that taking excessive amounts of Ibuprofen will cause drowsiness. I’m such an idiot. Maybe I should’ve read all those papers that came with my medication. The papers that I promptly tossed in the recycling bin. Regardless, my recharge was awesome because aside from my pain, I felt like a new person. It’s amazing how sleep (or lack of) can affect the human body. All it took was twenty-something minutes.

We made it to the hotel and did the whole unloading thing once more. In the rain. The baby was restless and I was in a significant amount of pain so I was a total dick to everyone within a 10 foot radius; I could feel my heartbeat throughout every inch of my face. My eyes were bloodshot and the swelling was ridiculous. I looked like a blowfish. This was my worst day by far, but I managed to sleep that night.

We started day three at 5:30 AM. Because of my Ibuprofen scare the day before, I didn’t want to take any drugs. I was hurting pretty bad but not quite like day two. After seven more hours of driving with my ferocious beasts, we finally made it to our new home in Texas. Look how swollen I was. My lip! My nose! My cheeks!! Wow!

Screen Shot 2014-09-04 at 12.50.52 AM

Day 4 post op was still pretty painful. It hurt to laugh and smile of course. It also hurt to be whacked in the face by a balled up baby fist. That did happen and I went down for the count. I promptly took a hydrocodone which seemed to answer all of my prayers. If you’re reading this because you’re worried about pain during recovery, keep in mind that I was only taking Ibuprofen. When I took actual pain killers, things calmed down significantly! I was running low though and still pretty swollen so I decided to call and talk to Dr. K’s assistant. She told me that since the lip is so ‘vascular’ that my swelling (even up into my forehead) was all very normal. She sent in a new prescription for some more hydrocodone and asked me to report back.

Day 5 was more of the same but much less swelling. It was this day that I realized my swelling probably had a lot to do with the fact that I basically allowed myself zero down time after the surgery. It was literally ‘go go go!’. Not once did I sit down on the couch and veg out like any normal human being would after being cut open and stitched back up. Luckily we ordered a brand new mattress and box spring, so even though our house was empty, we at least had that.

Day 6 was the first day it didn’t burn like the dickens to swish water through my mouth after brushing my teeth.  I was getting somewhere! Also, I was able to smile pretty good. I am SO PLEASED!

photo 2

Screen Shot 2014-09-08 at 12.08.38 AM

I promise to report back with the rest of my recovery soon because I’ve definitely got a ways to go. I presume my next few days will be busy with unpacking all our crap so bare with me!


8 thoughts on “Lip Repositioning Surgery Parts 1 & 2

  1. I feel this! At least part of it. A smidge if you will. Military life is so much fun. Them: “no posting” Me: “Great! Bring on the Invisalign! And by all means, allow me to start paying already..” them: “Posting now!” me: (among other things) “Well shit”

    The driving. So much of teh driving. We moved halfway across the country. Drive there for house hunting/buying. Drive back. Watch people horribly pack house. Get impressions. Drive to new-home. Drive back to actually get aligners. Drive back to new-home. Drive back when three attachments come off in two weeks. Drive new-effing-home. Coming up in my adventures, drive back at Christmas for checkup and replacement of another GD attachment that came off. (BTW – did you have attachments fall off? I’m only on set 5!)
    Four weeks later find paper towel from the pantry in a box marked “Boys Room – Toys” containing a computer stuff, shoes, hallway stuff, and said paper towels. Not to mention boxes marked “Books” that contained not one book…. and them packing a liquid they weren’t supposed to pack. On the bright side, a lot of things now smell like what I can only describe as “Intense Apple”

    I love your blog, just found it tonight. Particularly love the updated Invisalign experience..pros and cons.. post. I wasn’t going to post until I read this one. Here I am, posting.

    I’m looking forward to your updates, you have such a beautiful smile!


    • Thank you so much, Red! I apologize that it’s taken me this long to reply. It’s about time I sit down and pay attention to my blog. Ever since this move, I feel as though I have half the free time that I used to have. Where did it all go? And in reference to your bit about the movers packing things in totally random boxes… uh, yeah. This was one hellacious move to say the least. We didn’t get our furniture until OCTOBER and we moved here at the end of August. I also discovered that they’d packed a half-used bottle of balsamic vinegar upside down in a dish barrel… where my bose sound dock was crushed down at the bottom.

      And yeah, I’ve had attachments come off but that only happened shortly after they were bonded… still a pain in the ass though. I hope things are going well for you. Thank you for reading 😉

  2. Hi, I’m from Indonesia.
    Started Invisalign in Sept 2014 and I’m on Tray 9 right now.
    I just text my dentist and asked her about the refinements she mentioned when we started my Invisalign. I don’t really understand what she meant by it’s included (I paid USD.4500,- for INVISALIGN FULL), so I get one time refinements (IF NEEDED at the end of my Invisalign treatments). I don’t know what she meant with ‘1x’ refinement, and she said if there is a 2x, then I have to pay for it. But usually only 1x, she said.

    I read that one shouldn’t be charged when it is INVISALIGN FULL, because it’s all included, except for retainers.

    • Hey Fonny!
      So here’s the deal. Although Invisalign does provide three refinements to their customers (the orthodontists and dentists), that doesn’t necessarily mean they (the orthodontists and dentists) are required to transfer that on to all of their patients. With each refinement, your provider has to spend lots of time mapping out a new treatment plan for your teeth which in turn, costs them time and money. Whether they include it in their patient contract or not is up to them. This is why knowing what your provider offers in their treatment up front is so important. I’ve been promising a “how to choose a provider” post for a long time. Soon, hopefully!

      Go back and scan over your contract, Fonny. Maybe you might find that she never mentioned refinements and it can be up for discussion then. Good luck and thank you so much for reading my blog. 😀

  3. For what it’s worth, I thought your teeth looked great before you even had your refinements. I think you’ve put more strategizing into your teeth than it took to plan D Day.

    I stumbled onto your blog because i’m nearing the end of my invisalign treatment and was looking for information on refinement. I’m your polar opposite. My invisalign treatment was an impulse buy one day while at the dentist, I did almost no research before or after I got them, and I’ve rarely asked any questions at my appointments. I think my teeth look good now, though I doubt they’d meet your standard. I didn’t even know there was such a thing as refinement trays until a friend told me about hers today.

    Anyway, I think you just need to accept that you’re beautiful and move on. I hope you’re not stressing out about your teeth anymore. You look great.

    • Hi Erik, thank you so much for your compliment. Throughout my Invisalign treatment, I slowly realized that it wasn’t just my teeth and that I was really trying to correct a bigger “issue”. Some might consider that vain and even petty but that’s the reality of my situation. Being called Gummy Bear from an early age might affect how someone feels about their appearance. I know it certainly affected me.

      I’m not sure if you’ve read my blog from the beginning (I don’t blame you if you haven’t because there’s just so much!), but like you, I put everything into the hands of my first orthodontist; there was zero strategizing. Of course, the fact that I’d chosen to write about my experience led me to ask enough questions to become informed on the process.

      It wasn’t until my move mid-treatment that I made the terrible mistake of choosing an extremely inexperienced Invisalign provider to continue on with. This resulted in nearly half a year (a month here, two months there, etc) day in and day out of wearing progressively misfitting aligners, waiting on decisions and subsequently new trays that would fit and correctly move my teeth the way I’d been promised in the beginning. Naturally, I wanted to research what other doctors did for their patients with the same problems. These hangups also gave me plenty to write about.

      Although we’ve never met, I’m sure your teeth are now beautiful and perhaps weren’t too bad to begin with if Invisalign was an impulse buy for you… so maybe I am your polar opposite (maybe not the case at all, it’s only an assumption). In all honesty, I can say that I do look at people’s smiles quite often. I’ll reluctantly admit that I slightly envy people who have what is considered a normal tooth to gum ratio, imperfect teeth or not. Truth is, is that once I had my surgery, I realized that having slightly crooked teeth no longer mattered to me. My smile was AWESOME now that my gums were no longer the headliner of the show. I never realized until then that my “excessive gingival display” (the medical term) was the real issue.

      Anyway, I do thank you for reading. If anything I wrote was helpful even one bit, I’ve accomplished what I’d intended to do in the first place.

  4. Hi I have just had lip repositioning and am on day 5, and think my smile looks very weird. I think the sutures and very tight and I am not able to move my mouth very much. I am slowly starting to regret my decision and am hoping that this feeling will go away when I can casually use my mouth and smile like normal… Question how long did it take for you to get your smile back to your new normal…

  5. Actually, maybe it was either 1/2 or 1/4 a unit on each side and lasted 1-1.5m (I haven’t been in years) which would be why I found it a pain to keep going and I find it embarrassing if I get caught doing Botox!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s